Another Civ 4 PBEM game?

You'll find the Civilization IV PBEM Game turns here.
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

I'm seeing double here! Four Blitzkriegers! (or perhaps not but its a good line)

Anyhow, I agree everywhere I think.

Tech Trading: On, it has ever been thus hereabouts, why change.

Leaders: Random civ, default leader (echo echo echo...)

Starting age: Classical with 2.5-3x default points I think is good

Map Size: yeah, standard I think, its been a while since I started a game but I think default standard is 7 players so it won't be too much of a squeeze but won't be waiting too long for "competition" either. I'd couple whatever map we take with low sea level maybe to compensate for smaller map size with extra land. Default temperature/rainfall.

Map type is really the biggest decision. Max was savagely shafted in the first Hightland game with an icebound start but to be honest, somebody will almost definitely be shafted any map we take! I considered myself shafted on suave's game, starting on an ocean locked desert island, that was archipelago. Blitz was shafted in last game... Its part of the glory if you can overcome it!

You could try looking at a fractal with warm temperature in world builder and see if its an improvement? can you set temp in fractal maps?

This is an off the cuff idea, what about Terra? Somebody rolling Portugal might have an unfair advantage, I think in this case we would need to go with a larger map because 8 players on one continent would be ugly!! Just a last minute thought, feel free to ignore.

On victory conditions: I wanted to build UN in last game to propose banning nukes but was afraid that my enemies would somehow contrive to steal victory with a diplomatic win (sort of an Anybody but MD political party), any objections if we turn diplo victory off? Also, domination maybe? I don't want to lose while I can still hold a gun :)

Are we leaving spying on? I think we should but watch out for BB :D
I demand only unflinching obedience
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Blitzkrieger wrote:That you BltzKrieg?
Nope that's a guy from my work place.
Blitzkrieger

Post by Blitzkrieger »

Oh. BlitzKrieg was saying he didn't have the expansion packs.

I thought we'd leave spying off? Seems far too cheap a way to keep an eye on your opponents cities....
Byzantine Bureaucracy

Post by Byzantine Bureaucracy »

Espionage is far from just that. You can sabotage infrastructure, invest to see another players tech spend etc.

It adds another dimension to gameplay.
Blitzkrieger

Post by Blitzkrieger »

MoustachioedDictator wrote: Are we leaving spying on? I think we should but watch out for BB :D
Byzantine Bureaucracy wrote: It adds another dimension to gameplay.
lolz?

I'm not that pushed really. It looks like 2 for and 1 against so unless we have a show of hands against it, we'll take it as spying on?

I'm going to be out from about 5 tonight so I can start the game tomorrow evening? I want to give people a few more hours to respond before kicking off.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

I'm fine with parameters. I'd say leave spying on, it's useful, not OP and can be a useful alternative strategy if you are otherwise disadvantaged.
justice

Post by justice »

gee lads i missed this thread altogether.
if im not too late (and i wont mind that much if i'm too late, so busy lately:( ) count me in.

i dont mind what settings are, i'll go random for civ.

earlier start the better, actually id make a suggestion, make the game start on clasical, set to epic speed and set turn time limt to 300? game should finish in modern or industrial, dunno really, but the point is we can choose specific eras to play. full epic game is 600 turns or something.
Justice - The Unrelable one