Official FAQ Part1

Vroom vroom...
Cully

Official FAQ Part1

Post by Cully »

I am interested. How do I do get involved?
Register for updates on the iRacing.com Web site. We will invite you to subscribe and participate as we expand the service. Shortly the service will be available to everyone and at that point you can click on the "Subscribe" button and follow the directions to join.

Is this a game?
No, iRacing.com is not a video game. It is a subscription-based simulation service for real-world racers and racing enthusiasts, as well as a platform for a new branch of global motorsport — known as internet racing — which is the sport of real-time, online racing.

Where do I buy it?
iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations is only available at http://www.iracing.com.

What do I need to get started?
A relatively current home PC, broadband Internet connection, and basic steering wheel and pedals (computer version, not out of a friend's car), which can be purchased from any major electronics retailer, is all you need. iRacing.com provides information for recommended computer setups as well as links to purchase wheels and pedals. Full instructions are provided on the iRacing.com member site to help you configure your computer and controls and get started driving.

When can I start driving?
Soon. The release of the iRacing simulation has been widely anticipated throughout a lengthy development period. But the wait is nearly over.

We are not following the old-style software publishing model that emphasizes a fixed release date with a big marketing blitz; we are helping to grow a new sport, which is a much more complex task than simply launching a product. We won't make the service available to the public until we're confident it will meet or exceed expectations for quality, accuracy and authenticity. This approach demands a rolling launch and managed growth so that we can ensure a consistently high level of service to our subscribers.

How expensive will this be?
A basic subscription for one year is $13/mo. ($156), which comes with a variety of content (cars and tracks) to get you started. As you progress in your internet racing career or if you have interest in testing a particular car or track, you may choose to buy additional content, but it is our goal and philosophy that no one with a real interest in the sport will be excluded.

What kind of computer will I need?
The minimum and recommended computer specifications are listed on this site. In general, the simulation is designed to work on most home PCs currently available in stores. You may also choose to upgrade to a mid-range, dedicated 3D video card.

When/how often will you provide updates?
New partner announcements, feature updates, updates on track and car development, as well as other news will be posted frequently on both the public site and member site. Although frequency will vary, we expect to have updates at least twice each month.

I am familiar with NASCAR Racing: 2003, is this a mod of NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season?
No. We used the NR2003 code as a starting point, taking advantage of its greatest strengths, such as the net code, which allows full fields of drivers to race online in real time, and the replay system, which enables drivers to review their on-track performance. But every major section of the code has been substantially improved for the iRacing.com simulation, and large portions are all new.

Do you sell or support the NASCAR Racing: 2003 simulation?
No. While we own the NASCAR Racing: 2003 engine, neither we nor any other commercial entity has a legal right to distribute or derive profit from NR2003. After the license that Vivendi (the publisher that owned NASCAR Racing: 2003 before we purchased the rights) had to use the trademarks involved in NR2003 expired in 2004, any remaining copies had to be removed from shelves.

How do cars/tracks get chosen?
Cars and tracks are added through partnerships between iRacing.com and other entities within the motorsport industry. They are selected to enhance the breadth and depth of our offering, covering multiple ladders of advancement based on the various disciplines within the sport (e.g., road racing, oval-track racing, stockcars, formula cars, sports cars and sedans). For more information about partnerships with iRacing.com, please visit our Partners page within this site.

Will you sponsor my racing/driving efforts?
While we encourage everyone in their on-track endeavors, we are not offering any sponsorship at this time.

Will I be able to drive all of the cars and tracks offered by iRacing.com?
Yes. Just as in real-world racing, iRacing.com features talent ladders that drivers can climb, based on their experience, the skills they have acquired and their record of on-track safety. iRacing.com also offers you the opportunity to drive cars and tracks you would never have access to in the real world. And while for organized competition drivers need to progress through increasingly demanding license levels, all members have access to unlimited test sessions with any content, cars or tracks, that they've purchased.

Will iRacing.com support private leagues, allowing groups of friends to run invitation-only races?
One of our highest priorities is to develop ways to fulfill requests for individual races and leagues.

Will iRacing.com have racing clubs and competition among clubs?
Yes, iRacing.com will be starting out with 10 different geographically based clubs, which will add a team element to competition. With many different ways for members to contribute to their club's success, the clubs will provide everyone an opportunity to get involved in the community, regardless of their skill level or particular area of interest.

How did the relationship between John Henry and Dave Kaemmer come about?
John got into simracing back in 1990, when he bought Dave's first title, "Indianapolis 500, The Simulation," and a set of controls for his PC. He loved road racing and spent a lot of time with Geoff Crammond's "Grand Prix," getting progressively more involved with the sport over the years. After he bought the Red Sox in 2002, John remembered hearing that Papyrus was located in the Boston area, so he stopped in to introduce himself to Dave, and while he was there the team showed him an early version of NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season. John had so much fun driving it that he decided to form a league and eventually 50 or 60 of his friends were racing in it. That was the genesis of iRacing. Dave and John both shared a passion for simracing - what it was and what they both thought it could be.