Offocial FAQ Part2

Vroom vroom...
Cully

Offocial FAQ Part2

Post by Cully »

Will development of iRacing continue beyond your public launch?
Yes, as a subscription-based service with digital distribution, iRacing - including the simulation software and the member website - will be continually expanded and enhanced. We'll add content, features and functionality regularly, and, of course, the community will grow and evolve.

Will iRacing feature only licensed products?
Yes, all of our cars and tracks are officially licensed. Authenticity and realism are our touchstones, so fantasy properties wouldn't really fit. And we respect the right of manufacturers, constructors and track owners to control what's theirs: their names, logos, likenesses and reputations. We will never model anything without the owner's permission to do so. That said, all of our licenses are non-exclusive, leaving our partners free to do business with anyone they choose. Locking up properties doesn't serve our interest, that of our partners or internet racing in general.

Will there be any place for modders, league admins, etc. in the future of iRacing?
Our service is highly integrated; it's the only way we know that we can ensure the kind of seamless, user-friendly, high-quality experience that we believe is necessary to expand the simracing community beyond its current boundaries. But we will address our customers' desires for individualization. From the start, they'll be able to paint their cars and customize their driving suits and helmets, and we're looking into ways to support leagues and pick-up races within the iRacing structure. If by "modders" you mean people who create their own cars and tracks, at this point we don't have a way for them to build content that would work within our simulation. We understand that to some members of the simracing community modding is as important - if not more so - as the actual racing. We're glad that the community is broad enough to support that approach as well as ours.

What is FIRST versus iRacing?
iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, LLC is the name of the company; iRacing (or iRacing.com) is the name of our online simulation service, and FIRST is the sanctioning body that presides over all internet racing at iRacing.com. In much the same way that the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) oversees the American Le Mans Series, FIRST will manage all sporting aspects of iRacing.com. The objective of FIRST is to create a fair, rewarding and competitive environment for all iRacing members.

Is iRacing solely an online simulation, or can it be driven offline?
iRacing is an online-only simulation service and an internet racing community. That said, our members will have virtually unlimited opportunities to test - any car on any track.

Will there be new, licensed cars in the future?
Yes, as we go forward there will be a great deal more content. We've licensed more than 60 tracks; with the painstaking way we build them, that's going to keep us busy for awhile. But we're already talking to other tracks about licenses. So far our focus has been on North America, but we expect significant international expansion in the next several months. And we're in licensing discussions for a number of other cars and will begin announcing some of them in the near future.

Will iRacing accept requests for new cars and tracks?
One of the advantages of being a community is that we develop a regular dialog and a relationship with our members. So long as we're able to secure the appropriate licenses, we'll deliver what our customers tell us they want.

Can members re-sell content licenses (cars and tracks) when they are done with them?
We have no plans to create a secondary market in "used" cars, and we're not looking to create a virtual economy inside the community. Your car won't wear out. And while it may get damaged in a wreck, all that means is it won't drive right - or at all, depending on how hard you crashed. But in the next session your car will be good as new, and you won't have had to "pay" for the repairs.

Is there any guarantee that iRacing will continue to develop and support this product into the future?
There are no guarantees, but we are in this for the long haul. Dave Kaemmer has dedicated 20 years, basically his entire professional career, to making the most authentic simulations possible, and the core of our company is made up of people who have worked with Dave for much of that time. John Henry, meanwhile, is absolutely passionate about internet racing and is motivated by his desire to build a community where racers can to get together, compete and share their common bond, which is a love of motorsport.

Is there any content that we're allowed to mod?
No. As clearly stated in the End User License Agreement, iRacing.com content cannot be modded. To even attempt to do so is a direct violation of the agreement. Again, the content can only be used by registered members within the iRacing service.

Do I "own" the content (cars and tracks) I have purchased?
No. You have purchased a license for use of the content on your personal computer, and then only per the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement. Once you purchase the license for the content, we anticipate that it will be in service for many years in the simulation.

Will I ever lose use of the content/property that I have purchased licenses for?
As iRacing officially licenses all of the content in the sim, there is a chance iRacing could lose a license to distribute a certain piece of content or property. That means you will still have access to that content but iRacing will no longer be able to sell it to new members or to actively market it. Because of that, a property could conceivably get phased out of active racing, although you would still be able to test and time trial with that property. Please also keep in mind that all of the iRacing licenses are long-term in nature or are "in-perpetuity." We hope never to lose a property, but it is possible.

Is there a minimum guarantee or a warranty that the content will be available for racing for a certain amount of time?
We currently have no plans to do that. However, if we have to completely rescan and reproduce a track because it has changed dramatically we do reserve that right. You currently get normal updates for your tracks and cars for free.

Would iRacing ever want to charge me again for a property I already purchased?
Normally, you will never be subject to additional charges once you've purchased a piece of content, including for the normal revisions to tracks and cars as their physical-world counterparts change. The only scenario in which we anticipate the possibility of additional charges would be if a race track has been so substantially changed that the facility must be entirely or almost entirely re-scanned and our model of it reconstructed.

Can I send suggestions and feedback to iRacing about the product and service?
Yes, you can send feedback on the product and service from the Support Section of our member site. We view this as simple feedback. We appreciate the time and energy people put into this feedback to improve the service. Please understand that any ideas you suggest might already be under consideration and that any feedback or suggestions offered will be deemed to be unsolicited and voluntary and that no consideration will be given for such feedback or suggestions.

Can I copy iRacing images, marks, and trademarks off the iRacing websites or materials and use for other purposes, for example for private clubs etc?
iRacing.com's images, marks or trademarks may only be used for any purpose with written permission from an authorized iRacing employee.

If I purchase a membership, how many people can use it?
Just you; it is a single-user license.

Can I download iRacing onto a second computer if I am a member?
Yes. Each license is a single-user license, but if you have other computers that you personally use for conveniences sake to log onto the iRacing.com service, you are permitted to download and install the service on additional computers for your personal use as a member of iRacing. e.g., you may have one computer at home and a second computer that you use for travel, at work or a second residence.

What if I buy a new computer? Do I need to inform iRacing?
No. You may download and install all of the iRacing software for which you are licensed onto your new computer at no additional charge.