New PBEM/Forum Game

Information on current and upcoming games.

Moderators: Priam, justice

Rev Hellfire

New PBEM/Forum Game

Post by Rev Hellfire »

I've a hunkering for another PBEM game, though I'd prefer something other than Civ4 as a change.

I've had a look for games which are free and tbh there's not much out there.

One which perhaps looks interesting is Solium Infernum, not free though but got interesting write-ups.

So the question is anyone up for another bit of PBEM malarkey and if so got suggestions ?

There's always colonization which has been patched since last we played, I'll most likely stick a post on boards and see if anyone has ideas/suggestions as well..
justice

Post by justice »

i have played arround with the world map editor,

was considering setting up a 5 man game,

set with 5 squares of exactly equal landmasses with all resorces, 2 land connections to a tundra maze like yokie.

set in modern time, begin with about 30 units and 5 size 10 cities. only expansion is from taking opponents land.

263 turns to play?

thoughts?
Justice - The Unrelable one
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

sounds interesting. count me in.
Blitzkrieger

Post by Blitzkrieger »

Me too? Was thinking of doing something like that on a bigger scale but was overcome by laziness...
ButcherOfNog

Post by ButcherOfNog »

Won't Civ 5 be out in a couple of weeks? Perhaps wait till then and play a PBEM game of it instead?
justice

Post by justice »

ahhh, an affliction i know only too well!

although if anyone has starcraft 2 id be partial to a game, im a total battlenet newbie.

back the above new game proposal i see it as more of a war game than traditional civ game.
the map is pretty ready, i think im stuck with the civ choice. will play with creating new game to see how it pans out.

i'll upload the worldbuilder file for anyone interested.

/edit

civ 5 not coming with pbem as far as i know.
that will come in either patch or first XP pack.
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

If I could raise a worry I have about the format as designed...

The only real way to attack here it seems is to advance slowly into enemy territory and In cIV (or my experience thereof), If we assume even numbers, he who strikes first, makes the only the strike required due to the dominance of collateral damage. Its why most games are decided out in the deep blue where units can move large distances in one turn through any territory.

The one unit/hex system in civ5 and the apparent push to a philosophy of fewer, much faster, better manouevred units is the most exciting prospect as it could lead to some truly excellent tactical engagements. Its close now by God, a little over two weeks until European release. Fingers crossed PBEM is not long behind the first release (and that the first release works out of the box and doesn't turn out to be Total War: Empire mark II).

I'm still heavily involved in two games, so I'll only put my name in this hat to make up the numbers which shouldn't be required.
I demand only unflinching obedience
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

To make a suggestion to supplement my earlier criticism...

It might be interesting to have all the critical resources (e.g. oil, uranium, aluminium) held in isolated pockets of land within the maze, so the game became a matter of seizing and holding these pockets at some distance from the mothercountry. It would move the combat out of the large cultural borders that might mire the game otherwise. It would also make for an interesting sub game of trying to keep your supply line from the resource back to the motherland open.

I might try and make/modify a map into this shape over the weekend.

What do y'all think?

PS
Does anybody know if its possible to set start locations for civs and not just prebuild their civ? Allowing people the flexibility to set up their own motherland to their taste (and ability!) would be nice if its possible to do in the world builder. It would be nice to able to give people random civs...
I demand only unflinching obedience
justice

Post by justice »

some interesting thoughts Tash,

i'll upload the worldbuilder file with this post. you can save it into here:
C:\Documents and Settings\@@@@@@\My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\Saves\WorldBuilder

@@@@@@ = windows username.

to open it launch a single player game, select custom scenario, select DarkkeepChallange. pick carthaginian (otherwise other civs under AI control will have made moves)
ctrl W loads worldbuilder.

i purposefully prebuilt the empires Tash, players can still customize their own lands (say to produce more sheilds),
i thought to reduce the benifits of micromanaging, which imo some players do better than others on. plus it means everyone is on the same footing at a vital stage of the game (tanks).

i dont agree with you in your point about strategic resorces, without them you are screwed in the late game.
in my latest version i have created 3 places in the tundra zone where a cities can be built, they contain all the resources that the player islands dont have and have terrain other than thundra. Also the tundra parts are railroaded, every player has 2 other players 3/4 turns away. using forts its easy to set up forward bases, planes can be put in forts (so long as its in your cultural borders).

i thought you could make canals with forts, which would allow sea access, however i have just tested this and it is not so. i may examine the map again as to allow more sea based access (for sneaky attacks).
chipmunk

Post by chipmunk »

I'm in.