Another Civ 4 PBEM game?

You'll find the Civilization IV PBEM Game turns here.
Blitzkrieger

Another Civ 4 PBEM game?

Post by Blitzkrieger »

With no sign of Civ 5 PBEM on the horizon and doubts about it's quality when it does arrive, would there be many people interested in another Civ 4 PBEM?

Map size : TBD
World map : Tordoidal, fractal
Babarians : None
Spying : None

Advanced start, epic speed, random civs, random leaders..... Am I missing anything?
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Sounds good, 'tash was also suggesting we start a new game but that we also include no tech trading.
Blitzkrieger

Post by Blitzkrieger »

A lot of games include that so that players will be playing on their own merit, but tbh, there's so many "cheesy" ways of getting around it when players team up that I'm not sure it's worth having. I'd be open to it though. And if anybody wants to do an ancient era start, that could be enjoyable too. Probably increases the odds of an early exit if you get a bad starting position/civ/leader combination....
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

Rev Hellfire wrote:Sounds good, 'tash was also suggesting we start a new game but that we also include no tech trading.

Yeah, I was thinking of it, but thinking about it some more, it might be a bad idea. Blitz is right in as much as a unlucky break with starting conditions, and there could quickly be a huge tech disparity. Tech trading is about the only way of "pulling back" run away players.

I have no idea what fractal maps are supposed to be, any I've looked at have been a bit odd, like a tear drop of an island with huge expanses of water? I like a map with lots of water, but with plenty of land too. What about a ring world or something like it? Might offer a mix of balance and unpredictability. Honestly though, I don't mind. Just not an all land map because it will never end. Toroidal is a good call.

Era wise, hmmmm. I think I enjoy the industrial age the most but any start earlier will get there eventually. Tango is in the middle of a some sort of bizarre steampunk era at the moment because of the war distorted nature of the game. I feel like I'm playing in the "howl's moving castle" universe. We've just finished a modern game so maybe an old one is good. I think the classical start in Tango worked quite well and you don't have to go learning how to build a mine. I think its important to give a big pile of advance start points too to get the ball rolling quickly.

I think unrestricted leaders is TOO random, you can be blessed or cursed. Random civs is probably a good idea. I'd go for Darius if I could choose and, you wouldn't like me if I did :D

Map size, I like confrontation so favour a map smaller than recommended for however many players we have.

barbs off for sure
Espionage, hmmmm, dunno. I think on as it favours the attacker.

More thoughts later.
I demand only unflinching obedience
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

Oh and whoever starts the game, pm a copy of the admin password to Rev or something so it doesn't get lost!
I demand only unflinching obedience
ButcherOfNog

Post by ButcherOfNog »

I'd play another
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

me 3. really disappointed no pbem in civ 5. It would be nice to try it out.
Byzantine Bureaucracy

Post by Byzantine Bureaucracy »

Count me in.

I agree with Classical start and a healthy dose of advanced start points. Enough to get 2/3 cities off the ground, a tech and a worker etc.

As for map, I like Archipelago. Worked well in previous games.
Blitzkrieger

Post by Blitzkrieger »

There might be some good maps out there designed for multiplayer. I could give a google for them once we know how many players we have?

I think I'll throw a thread up on boards.ie later as well. Try to get some fresh vic<H<H<H players in. I doubt we'll end up with too many players, but we could start multiple games if we do.

Try and tie down the details and start Wednesdayish?
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

MoustachioedDictator wrote:Oh and whoever starts the game, pm a copy of the admin password to Rev or something so it doesn't get lost!

Send them to Captain Coffee