Max's Big Pirate Playground

You'll find the Civilization V PBEM Game turns here.
Maximilian

Max's Big Pirate Playground

Post by Maximilian »

***Edit: First glitch is that it seems that everyone needs to have the same DLC as the person hosting the game. Gonzo has the vanilla version, so I've asked him to start the game with the parameters below, as I don't want to force anyone to dish out for DLC they may not want.

Can everyone post what DLC they have installed***

Right, hopefully this all works as intended. You'll need to read the instructions as it's a little cumbersome. Hopefully Firaxis will streamline pbem in a later patch.

Rev, I added Civ5Save as a permitted extension. I hope I haven't melted the website in the process!

6 players: Me, Gonzo, Rev, Nog, Cherry & Greekfire. Probably best to keep the numbers down for the first game until we get to know how Civ5 operates. We can start more games later if anyone is excluded. The more the merrier!!

Parameters are:

Prince difficulty. Large Archipelego (low sealevel for more land), Ancient Start, Quick speed.

Domination, Science and Cultural victories enabled. I disabled diplomatic because it's a bit lame.

Balanced resources - which I've never used before but with civ 5 sometimes, there's an uneven distribution of strategic resources.

I've left start bias on because some civ's abilities depend on terrain. Likewise I've left barbarians on for the same reason.

Civ's are completely random, so it's the luck of the draw. Maybe in future we might pick, I don't know what people's preferences are on that score. Some Civs are definitely better than others in this game, plus I'm not sure the Random Civ is actually that random, as I drew Siam in two of our aborted attempts to get this going. Maybe some civs should be disallowed, I dunno.

How to play your turn

Default directory where files are saved is My Documents\My Games\Civ5\saves\hotseat.

You can't however, launch the game by opening the save file from your browser or from windows (as with Civ4) as far as I know nor can you select other directories in-game, so you will need to cut and paste the save file into the default directory above and load the game from inside Civ 5. I have both directories set as favorites to save time.

At the main civ5 menu screen, click multiplayer>hotseat>load game. The password script appears to be bugged, so the default password for everyone is 123.

When your turn loads, click change password, enter 123 as the old password and then change it to your own in the boxes below. When you click accept you will go back to the previous screen, where you will need to put your new password in again. Your turn should in theory load. I hope.

Play your turn. When you're done, hit next turn and it will prompt for the next player. From that screen you can save your turn (which will be saved to the same directory), which you post here. There's no way to exit that screen I think so you will have to hit Alt-F4. I'll rely on your honesty to not sneakily peak at the next player's turn ;)

Another thing is that, unlike, Civ 4, the game doesn't seem to save the turn file with the next person's name in it, so I think the only way to know if it's your turn is to know who is the player before you.

Here goes nothing!
gonzovision

Post by gonzovision »

gonzovision

Post by gonzovision »

2nd attempt
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

hopefully this will work for Rev
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Seems to have worked !
As for DLC I've the stock game as well and the Mongolia DLC which I suspect everyone has.

To get pending players name to appear in the "Pending Turns" panel append or prepend to_<player> file name, you can rename the save file in the save dialog.

ie. for nog I renamed the save file "Oda Nobunaga_0000 BC-4000_to_nog.Civ5Save"

It will also work if you pre-pend the to_<player> filename, it basically displays anything between to_ and the .civ in the panel.

If you're like me and sick of the intro you can get rid of it and speed up your load by editing the file "UserSettings.ini" located in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5" folder.

Change the entry for "SkipIntroVideo" so it reads "SkipIntroVideo=1" and no more intro.
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

Rev Hellfire wrote:
If you're like me and sick of the intro you can get rid of it and speed up your load by editing the file "UserSettings.ini" located in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5" folder.

Change the entry for "SkipIntroVideo" so it reads "SkipIntroVideo=1" and no more intro.
That may have just solved the single biggest obstacle to starting a civ5 game for me, that damn cut scene that won't skip!
I demand only unflinching obedience
ButcherOfNog

Post by ButcherOfNog »

awkward :)
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

I'll pop cherry *snigger* a note on boards to let them know their turn is up, since they're unlikely to be checking here.
cherryghost

Post by cherryghost »

Am I doing it right?
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

greekfire is having some issues with Civ 5 atm, I'll get him to do his turn at lunch time to get things moving again.