New Civ 5 Game

Information on current and upcoming games.

Moderators: Priam, justice

Maximilian

New Civ 5 Game

Post by Maximilian »

So, I’m proposing a new Civ 5 game, with both expansions enabled, as I think they add a lot to the base game. If you want in, you need:
Civ 5
+ Gods & Kings
+Brave New World

As regards game settings, there currently is no equivalent to Civ 4’s advanced settings. There are mods that can do all kinds of things however Firaxis, in their wisdom, didn't see fit to allow mods in multiplayer.

That means all we can do to speed up the start of the game is to begin in a later era. I’m thinking either the following:
Classical Era; 2500BC – 1 Settler, 1 worker, 2 spearmen or warriors
Medieval Era; 250AD – 2 settlers, 1 worker, 2 spearmen or warriors plus 1 scout

As for other settings:

Large map, standard game pace, prince difficulty,

Map-wise, I was thinking of Pangea Plus – Pangea maps lead to conflict quicker I think.

All victory conditions allowed, bar maybe time, since certain civs are better suited to certain victory types. It will all end in war anyway…

One other thing – regarding leaders, we may want to think about banning certain ones – I believe some are considered OP and unbalanced. We can finalise that once we’re about to get started but so far, I understand the following civs/leaders are usually banned:
Korea
Babylon
Poland
Spain

Finally, the elephant in the room is the time it is taking for turns at the moment. Waiting around for a week for your turn is incredibly frustrating and unfair to other players. At the same time, it’s not always possible to check for your turn or play it every day. I know Rev looked into Pitboss and it wasn’t a runner however, I think I've found a solution.

http://multiplayerrobot.com/

MPR is basically a pitboss like website that can run civ5 pbem games like pitboss does. You sign in through steam (so it’s secure), there’s a tiny client and it works more or less like pitboss. Most importantly, there is a turn timer. So if one player, (Cherry, *cough, *cough :evil: ) doesn’t take his turn within a certain time frame, the AI will take it for him. The MPR client will show whose turn it is, time left etc. Oh yeah, and it’s completely free.

You should watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNczFe5Icc it explains everything probably quicker than trying to read the stuff on the website.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Oh and one final thing, a certain ex-HIV member has expressed an interest in playing....
Crosáidí

Post by Crosáidí »

Count me in
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Looks like I'll sit this one out.

It was either civ5 expansions or Nazi-robo-killer-dogs.
The attachment nazirobodog.jpg is no longer available
The dogs won.
Attachments
nazirobodog.jpg
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Suit yourself, Yoko.

(Wolfenstein is brilliant in fairness)
Janeymack

Post by Janeymack »

Count me in.....

Good to see all my former HIV Brethren still alive and kicking!!
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Darn they've found us again...

We're alive, but the zimmer frame gets in the way of the kicking.
greekfire

Post by greekfire »

I'm in!
ButcherOfNog

Post by ButcherOfNog »

Afternoon all, and hiya Mackers! Will have a look at the expansion prices, if I can get them for not very much, I'll join otherwise I'll sit this one out too.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

OK,

So it's

Me
Janeymackers
Greekfire
Crosaidi

Anyone else? Nog?

Can everyone pick their leaders and give me your steam ID, as the pitboss thing connects into Steam.
Crosáidí

Post by Crosáidí »

Maximilian wrote:OK,

So it's

Me
Janeymackers
Greekfire
Crosaidi

Anyone else? Nog?

Can everyone pick their leaders and give me your steam ID, as the pitboss thing connects into Steam.

steam id: czam2007
leader: Bismarck