New Civ: Beyond Earth

General Discussion
justice

New Civ: Beyond Earth

Post by justice »

I've heard of this and only briefly looked at it so far.

Its out the 24th. Anyone particularly interested in this? for multi player perhaps?

My games mistress is harsh, demanding and will tolerate no competition, i am referring to Dota2, as such I'm not particularly bothered.

but tbh, I may even have left this genre (turn based strategy) altogether after the disappointment of Civ 5.

what ye guys think? although the lack of posts is indication of our lack of awareness (we're old men now ffs) or apathy.
Justice - The Unrelable one
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

I think the whole Civ 5 set-up was a big disappointment, though if that was totally due to the game itself or the large delays in the game turns as the bigger factor is I guess debatable.

To me Civ 4 was the golden age as far as pbem strategy games go and suspect Beyond Earth will most likely have ignored that style of play like it predecessor had done (I hope to be wrong).
I'll most likely hold off on this one for while and see how the offline multi-player runs before looking at purchasing it myself.

Anyway Warlords of Draenor is out soon so looking forward to that.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

I'm looking forward to BE - I'll report back.

As far as Civ 5, the problem I think is that you guys didn't get teh expansions. The game, as it stands now is really quite brilliant I think. The vanilla version was quite underwhelming though.
Rev Hellfire

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Maximilian wrote:I'm looking forward to BE - I'll report back.

As far as Civ 5, the problem I think is that you guys didn't get teh expansions.
To be fair I think the same was true of Civ 4 when it first came out.
If it looks like BE is a runner for pbem games I'd certainly be on for getting it if others are on for a game.
Rev Hellfire

Ars Technica Review

Post by Rev Hellfire »

Not exactly a glowing review, though hardly a damning one either. Its a case of more of the same.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/c ... the-stars/
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Eoghan wrote:To be fair I think the same was true of Civ 4 when it first came out.
If it looks like BE is a runner for pbem games I'd certainly be on for getting it if others are on for a game.

You're absolutely right and vanilla civ 5 just didn't have the depth of civ 4 plus its expansions - |I think that's why it felt a bit meh.

I'm finding BE a little meh tbh - I've only scratched the surface but again, it just doesn't seem to have the depth that civ 5 has atm.
Crosáidí

Post by Crosáidí »

Maximilian wrote:You're absolutely right and vanilla civ 5 just didn't have the depth of civ 4 plus its expansions - |I think that's why it felt a bit meh.

I'm finding BE a little meh tbh - I've only scratched the surface but again, it just doesn't seem to have the depth that civ 5 has atm.
It definitely needs a few expansion to flesh it out
justice

Post by justice »

if there are 3 or more of ye guys getting BE and it has multiplayer (the current civ 5 hotseat is ok for me, aren't we all IT nerds jobswise here?) i'll get it too.
Justice - The Unrelable one
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

I think the mp might be a bit broken at the moment - or so I read on reddit. Will be patched I'm sure but I think we ought to hold off starting a pbem game for the time being.
MoustachioedDictator

Post by MoustachioedDictator »

Planning to give BE a good long time to bed in, get patched up etc before I get it (and I will inevitably get it), plenty of other things on my gaming plate just now.

I have all the ciV add-ons and if this game had come out initially, it would have been interesting but even with the better balance and extra features it now possesses, it always reaches a point for me where it's a grind. I love the early game, put up with the mid game and jack the late game, in part because you need to have a book on the go to deal with the excessive turn time.

I hate global happiness more than anything. you're forced to burn sub-optimal cities and puppet the rest of your conquests due to the way happiness is worked and I always end up with an empire composed of multiple clusters of cities with vast dead land between them. and I think corruption (as in cIV) was a much better tool to provide a check on expansion.

The AI in ciV is no worse than cIV but it's not able to handle 1UPT and it forces the player into endless mircromanagement. Not least because roads are so expensive, you can only build a minimal network. I swear D-Day was easier to organise in reality than a transcontinental invasion in ciV. That the AI was the biggest failing means that multiplayer could have been the saving grace but the lack of proper PBEM support kind of killed that. [/2cents]
I demand only unflinching obedience